Monday, April 22, 2013

"Low" Raises Expectations


Sleeping With Sirens never fails to disappoint, it seems. The band just released a new single, "Low", and I think it's awesome.
This song sounds just like what I'd expect from them. It could easily fit right on to their last record "Let's Cheers To This".
Now, I'm a lot more critical of this band and what they put out since they're easily one of my all-time favorites. I have really high expectations for their stuff, and this only made them higher.
"Low" starts off with the "woah oh" sort of similar to "Do It Now Remember It Later". It's fast-paced and fun. Then it gets into Kellin Quinn's unmistakable voice, singing about how, obviously, someone makes him feel low. The chorus sings "you make me feel low, don't make me feel low. Cause I try so hard to convince myself it's okay that I feel this way." I feel like a lot of people know this feeling. The feeling of doing something wrong, or maybe making a bad decision, or possibly NOT doing something, and someone just continually rubs it in and makes you feel like shit. Yeah, we've all been there. This song is for those people.
Kellin's voice is the same as always, which is perfect, and the rest of the band sounds amazing as well. I read a comment on the only video for "Low" I could find (link above) and someone said that it sounds like they're going mainstream.
Are you insane?
Tell me how many mainstream artists/bands have a male vocalist (besides Adam Levine) with as high or as unique a voice as Kellin Quinn's. Tell me how many mainstream bands successfully blend screaming and a melody that makes you want to move. Name me some mainstream artists that sound anything like Sleeping With Sirens. Because I can't think of any. No one in the mainstream category is even in this band's league. Heck, they're not even in the same universe. They can only aspire to produce music with the type of impact SWS has. The fans of SWS know what this music does for/to them, and they know that the mainstream shit sounds nowhere near as good.
This is supposedly a single off the upcoming album. I haven't heard of a release date, or even a general window of time where they expect it to be released...so I'm on the edge of my seat just like everyone else. But I'm extremely excited for this album and I hope the band keeps doing what they do, because they do it best.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment